Hanford Police Department
Explorer Post Number 1014
The Hanford Police Department has established an explorer post. The primary purpose of a law enforcement explorer post is to provide vocational education and training to young people, ages 15-20, who have an interest in law enforcement as a career.
- What is exploring?
Exploring is a program, run by the Police Department, chartered by Learning for Life, a subsidiary of the Boys Scouts of America. Exploring provides vocational training and experience to young people, ages 15-20 (14 years with completion of the Junior Police Academy). You must have a desire to learn about law enforcement. Exploring provides an opportunity for young people to be involved in something positive, to receive training and experience in law enforcement and to learn the value of service to their community. It also allows those involved to get an inside look on how a police department functions.
- What do explorers do?
Police Explorers work hand in hand with sworn officers and non-sworn department personnel in a variety of ways. Listed below are just a few;
- Crowd control at parades and other community events,
- Assist patrol officers during ride-alongs,
- Participate in training exercises with police officers,
- Support of special department projects, such as G.R.E.A.T. events and national night out,
- Provide color guard services at community events, retirement ceremonies and parades,
- Hanford mall holiday security detail,
- Training, competitions and conferences with other agencies,
- Assist School Resource Officers at School Sporting Events,
- Assist California Law Enforcements Wish Upon a Star Organization,
- And much, much more!
- Who is eligible to become an explorer?
All young people, from age 15 to 20 (14 years with completion of the Junior Police Academy) are eligible to apply to the Post. All applicants must pass a thorough background investigation and oral interview process.
Contact the police department today if you are interested in learning more about law enforcement as a career or just want to be a part of law enforcement in your community. You will learn a lot, have a great time and a fantastic experience that will follow you throughout your life. Call today, 559-585-2535.